Print-on-Demand: How it Benefits Artists and What are the Pros and Cons
How to Sell Fine Art Prints with Print-on-Demand Services
If you are an artist who wants to sell your work online, you might have considered using print-on-demand services. Print-on-demand (POD) is a method of producing and shipping products only when they are ordered by customers. This way, you don’t have to worry about inventory, storage, packaging, or shipping costs. You can focus on creating your art and marketing it to your audience.
But how do you sell fine art prints with print-on-demand services? What are the benefits and challenges of this business model? And what are the best platforms to use for selling your art prints online? In this blog post, we will answer these questions and give you some tips on how to start selling art prints with print-on-demand services.
Benefits of Selling Fine Art Prints with Print-on-Demand Services
Selling fine art prints with print-on-demand services has many advantages for artists. Here are some of them:
- You can offer a variety of products and sizes to your customers, such as canvas prints, framed prints, posters, metal prints, acrylic prints, and more.
- You can set your own prices and profit margins for your products, depending on the quality and demand of your art.
- You can reach a global market and sell your art prints to customers all over the world.
- You can save time and money by outsourcing the production and fulfillment of your orders to a professional print-on-demand company.
- You can maintain creative control over your art and brand, as most print-on-demand platforms allow you to customise your products and packaging with your logo and information.
Challenges of Selling Fine Art Prints with Print-on-Demand Services
Selling fine art prints with print-on-demand services also has some drawbacks that you should be aware of. Here are some of them:
- You have to pay a fee to the print-on-demand company for each order they fulfill, which can reduce your profit margin.
- You have to rely on the quality and service of the print-on-demand company, which may vary depending on their location, equipment, materials, and policies.
- You have to compete with other artists who are selling similar or identical products on the same platform or marketplace.
- You have to market your art prints effectively to attract customers and stand out from the crowd.
How to Start Selling Fine Art Prints with Print-on-Demand Services
If you are ready to start selling fine art prints with print-on-demand services, here are some steps you should follow:
- Choose a print-on-demand platform that suits your needs and preferences. There are many options available, such as Theprintspace, Prodigi, Printify and Printful. Each platform has its own features, benefits, fees, integrations, and customer base. Do some research and compare them before making a decision.
- Create an account and upload your artwork to the platform. Make sure your artwork is high-resolution, well-edited, and formatted according to the platform’s specifications. You can use tools like Photoshop or GIMP to edit your images and optimise them for printing.
- Choose the products and sizes you want to offer for each artwork. Depending on the platform, you may have different options for printing materials, frames, colors, finishes, etc. You can also preview how your products will look before publishing them.
- Set your prices and profit margins for each product. You can use the platform’s calculator or estimator to see how much you will earn for each sale. Consider factors like production costs, shipping costs, platform fees, taxes, etc. when setting your prices. Don’t forget to factor in your time and effort as well.
- Publish your products and start selling them online. You can use the platform’s tools and features to promote your products, such as creating collections, categories, tags, descriptions, etc. You can also share your products on social media platforms like Instagram or Facebook to increase your exposure and reach more potential customers.
- Monitor your sales and performance on the platform. You can use the platform’s dashboard or analytics to track your orders, revenue, traffic sources, customer feedback, etc. You can also use tools like Google Analytics or Facebook Pixel to measure your conversion rates and optimize your marketing campaigns.
- Keep creating new artwork and updating your product catalog regularly. You should always keep your customers interested and engaged with fresh and original content. You can also experiment with different styles, themes, genres, etc. to expand your audience and appeal to different tastes and preferences.
- Provide excellent customer service and build relationships with your customers. You should always respond to customer inquiries, requests, complaints, reviews, etc. promptly and professionally. You should also thank your customers for their purchases and encourage them to leave feedback or share their experience with others.
Selling fine art prints with print-on-demand services is a great way for artists to make money online without having to deal with inventory, but it is important to find a reliable and consistent print source. Get samples created in different formats and surface before committing to a long-term relationship.